FREE QUOTE For Waste Collections Call 01904 295 170 or Click Here For A Free Quote

Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste

If you produce, transport, or receive hazardous waste you will be regulated by the Hazardous Waste Regulations.

Implementation of the revised Waste Framework Directive has brought some changes to the Hazardous Waste Regulations. These changes have been brought in by the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011 and the Waste (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Wales) 2011 Regulations.

Information on the revised Waste Framework directive can be found here

The major changes to the way hazardous waste is managed are listed below and came into effect on 29 March 2011:

Mixing of hazardous waste can only be carried out if you hold an appropriate permit allowing you to do this and the activity must comply with Best Available Techniques (BAT).
A new hazardous property (H13 sensitizing) has been introduced and will need to be used when assessing hazardous waste.
There are changes to the record keeping requirements, in particular for brokers.
The following changes came in on 28 September 2011:
The consignment note has been amended and the multiple consignment procedure has been simplified.
The waste hierarchy must be considered and applied in a priority order when hazardous waste is transferred.
For waste received on or after this date there are revised procedures to be followed for consignee returns.

Full details of these changes can be found on the following web pages:
Hazardous properties
Record Keeping

You may also want to read about
Waste hierarchy
Consignment Notes
Receiving Hazardous Waste

We have also put together some frequently asked questions on the changes to hazardous waste under the new regulations:
Hazardous waste – frequently asked questions

What is hazardous waste?
Find out what hazardous waste is and read technical guidance WM2, to determine if your waste is hazardous waste.
If you produce, transport or manage hazardous waste, find out about:

How to register or renew as a hazardous waste producer
Premises in England and Wales where hazardous waste is to be produced or kept may need to register annually (Updated – regulations changed in April 2009).

Controls on the collection and movement of hazardous waste
A consignment note must be completed to accompany hazardous waste when it is moved from any premises. Find out about consignment note procedures and the role of the producer, carrier and consignee.

Keeping records of hazardous waste
You must keep certain records about your hazardous waste. Find out what you need to do here.

If you receive hazardous waste that has been produced somewhere else or recover/dispose of your own hazardous waste, find out about:
Receiving hazardous waste
Find out what information you must send to the waste producer and to us, detailing waste movement, disposal and recovery.

Further information
Read more information on: landfill of hazardous waste; regulatory position statements, which detail where we stand on important issues and the solutions we call for; derogations, where a consignee return has to be completed differently for certain types of waste; frequently asked questions; and other hazardous waste topics.

Free Waste Quote